Sunday, August 8, 2010

What can I make for lunch?

You know when you're moving out of a place and you don't want to buy more groceries, but you have a bizarre assortment of food items? What on earth can you make for yourself?!

This afternoon, I found myself wondering exactly that. The grocery here in Italy closes at 1 on Sundays and I'm on a mission to use up what I have. I'm notorious for buying new things and ye olde Italian rule of not working on Sundays made me get creative.
In looking through my cabinets I found I had potatoes, frozen peas, pasta, eggs, cans of tuna, a smidge of milk, butter, garlic, some kind of spreadable cheese, parmesan (a block that seems to be endless) and a box of sugary hazelnut filled crunchy cereal (nom). I stared at everything in hopes something would magically make itself, but alas. I had to do a little work. I decided to choose just a few of those ingredients and what I came up with was quite fantastic.


Instructions for quick, lunchtime happiness:
Cook pasta, whatever kind you have.

In a small pot, cook the peas as per the instructions.

In a small pan, melt butter and add garlic. Add the smidge of milk. Add the spreadable cheese. It will take a little time for this to melt, but it helps to thicken the sauce. You can leave this out if you're using cream or more milk or just don't have it. I only had 3 TBSP of milk left. I needed to add a little something more. While this is heating, grate parmesan and hope to whittle away at the massive block of cheese that seems to grow when you aren't looking.

When the peas are cooked, drain them and add to the sauce, as many as you'd like. If you had a bit of ham or bacon, that would be utterly delicious in this recipe. Once the pasta is done, drain and put the peas and sauce on top. Top with parmesan and salt and pepper to taste.

Quick, easy, high in dairy fat, will clog your arteries probably. But hey. At least you had lunch, right?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks good! I love it when throwing everything in your fridge into a pasta dish turns into something delish! Can't wait to see you babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds a lot like the "mac and cheese" i ate in tivoli all the time- frozen peas, dollar store pasta, organic whole fat sour cream, parm. saved my life that did.

    ReplyDelete